Cold Treatment Facilities – Proposed Rule Available for Comment: Standardizing Phytosanitary Treatment Regulations
- 082016Proposed Rule – APHIS-2013-0081-0001
- 082016Proposed Rule – APHIS-2013-0081-0002 – Analysis in Support of Certification
- 082016Proposed Rule – APHIS-2013-0081-0003- Treatment Evaluation Document
Proposed Rule Available for Comment: Standardizing Phytosanitary Treatment Regulations
Today, APHIS published in the Federal Register a proposed rule to standardize its phytosanitary treatment regulations that apply to cold treatment and irradiation facilities, cold treatment schedules, and fumigation and cold treatment compliance agreements. Specifically, APHIS is proposing to:
- Establish generic criteria for approving cold treatment facilities in southern and western States;
- Require fruit cutting and inspection of cold-treated commodities that have been treated for pests other than Mediterranean fruit fly;
- Add requirements concerning the establishment of compliance agreements for all entities that operate fumigation facilities; and
- Harmonize language in the irradiation treatment regulations with the proposed language in the cold treatment regulations concerning State compliance with facility establishment and parameters for moving consignments from the port of entry or U.S. point of origin to the treatment facility.
The comment period will close on August 29, 2016. If you would like to make a comment or view the public comments on this rule, refer to the docket on the Web site http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;D=APHIS-2013-0081.